Col. Steve Smart is the vice commander of the 184th Wing, Kansas Air National Guard, McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas. He assists the commander in leading, managing and developing more than 1,300 airmen who execute a broad spectrum of missions including intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance; cyberspace operations; and command and control, all of which greatly enhance the U.S. Air Force’s capability to provide actionable intelligence and cyberspace operations for combat forces around the globe.
Col. Smart previously served as the commander of the 184th Mission Support Group, responsible for domestic operations and base operating support for over 1,300 airmen. Before his tenure in the Mission Support Group, Col. Smart served for 17 years as an Air Force Judge Advocate, culminating as the Staff Judge Advocate for the 184th Cyber Operations Group and as an attorney/advisor for the 184th Wing as a Dual Status Military Technician.
1993 Associate of Arts, Wentworth Military Academy Jr. College, Lexington, Miss.
1995 Bachelor of Science, John Brown University, Siloam Springs, Ark.
1999 Juris Doctorate, Gonzaga University School of Law, Spokane, Wash.
2003 Squadron Officer School (correspondence)
2010 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence)
2011 Air Command and Staff College (in residence)
2014 Air War College (correspondence)
1. April 2002 – May 2005, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman Air Force Base, Miss.
2. May 2005 – July 2006, Area Defense Counsel, Air Force Legal Operations Agency, Whiteman Air Force Base, Miss.
3. July 2006 – July 2008, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 70th Intelligence Wing, Fort Meade, Md.
4. July 2008 – May 2010, Chief of Operational Law, Joint Functional Component Command-Network Warfare, Fort Meade, Md. (Deployed to Bagram AB, Afghanistan as Legal Advisor, Expeditionary Cyber Support Element, Winter 2010)
5. May 2010 – July 2010, Chief of Operational Law, U.S. Cyber Command, Fort Meade, Md.
6. July 2010 – June 2011, Air Command and Staff College Student, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
7. June 2011 – July 2012, Chief, Strategic Communication, The Judge Advocate General’s Action Group, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon
8. July 2012 – July 2013, Special Counsel to The Judge Advocate General, Office of The Judge Advocate General, Pentagon
9. July 2013 – July 2014, Chief, Expeditionary Branch, Professional Development Directorate, Office of The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon
10. July 2014-July 2016, Staff Judge Advocate, 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan.
11. July 2016-Dec 2018, Staff Judge Advocate, 184th Cyberspace Operations Group, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan.
12. January 2019-June 2019, Deputy Commander, 184th Mission Support Group, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan.
13. June 2019-December 2020, Commander, 184th Mission Support Group, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan.
14. December 2020-Present, Vice Commander, 184th Wing, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan.
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
2013 Air Force General Counsel’s Award
2011 Lieutenant General Michael Hayden Award for Information Operations
First Lieutenant – Jan. 5, 2002
Captain – July 5, 2002
Major – Jan. 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel – April 1, 2014
Colonel – Nov. 21, 2019
(Current as of December 2020)
Recruiting - 316-759-7424
52960 Jayhawk Dr.
McConnell AFB, KS 67221
Wichita Area Code – 316
Comm. Prefix – 759-XXXX
DSN Prefix – 743-XXXX
McConnell Operator – 6100
Weather Line – 1-800-892-526
184th Command Post – 759-7070
184th Force Support Sq. – 759-7431
184th Comptroller Flight – 759-7068
184th Sec. Forces Sq. – 759-7445
184th Medical Group - 759-7380
184th Public Affairs – 759-7561
Family Support Office – 759-7092
Director of Psych. Health – 759-8901
Sexual Assault Helpline – 759-7011
22nd Medical Group – 759-6300
Update your ID - 759-7431