COLONEL STEVEN J. SMART
Col Steve Smart is the Commander of the 184th Wing, Kansas Air National Guard, McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas. Col Smart commands more than 1,300 Airmen who execute a broad spectrum of missions including intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, cyber and information operations, and command and control. In addition, the wing fields a full complement of support functions including civil engineering, security forces, medical, and force support units. All of these missions greatly enhance the Air Force’s capability to provide actionable intelligence and information dominance for combat forces around the globe.
Col Smart previously served as the Vice Commander of the 184th Wing and Commander of the 184th Mission Support Group. Before his tenure in the Mission Support Group, Col Smart served for 17 years as an Air Force Judge Advocate, culminating as the Judge Advocate for the 184th Cyberspace Operations Group and as the Attorney/Advisor for the 184th Wing as a Dual Status Military Technician.
1993 Associate of Arts, Wentworth Military Academy Jr. College, Lexington, Mo.
1995 Bachelor of Science, John Brown University, Siloam Springs, Ark.
1999 Juris Doctorate, Gonzaga University School of Law, Spokane, Wash.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2021 Joint Forces Staff College--Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Norfolk, Va.
- April 2002–May 2005, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, 509th Bomb Wing/Judge Advocate, Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo.
- May 2005–July 2006, Area Defense Counsel, Air Force Legal Operations Agency, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
- July 2006–July 2008, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 70th Intelligence Wing/Judge Advocate, Fort Meade, Md.
- July 2008–May 2010, Chief of Operational Law, Joint Functional Component Command for Network Warfare, Fort Meade, Md. (Jan. 2010–Feb. 2010, Legal Advisor, Expeditionary Cyber Support Element, Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan)
- May 2010–July 2010, Chief of Operational Law, U.S. Cyber Command, Fort Meade, Md.
- July 2010–June 2011, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- June 2011–July 2012, Chief, Strategic Communication, The Judge Advocate General’s Action Group, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon, Va.
- July 2012–July 2013, Special Counsel to The Judge Advocate General, Office of The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon, Va.
- July 2013–July 2014, Chief, Expeditionary Branch, Professional Development Directorate, Office of The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon, Va.
- July 2014–July 2016, Staff Judge Advocate, 22nd Air Refueling Wing/Judge Advocate, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- July 2016–Dec 2018, Judge Advocate, 184th Cyberspace Operations Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- January 2019–June 2019, Deputy Commander, 184th Mission Support Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- June 2019–December 2020, Commander, 184th Mission Support Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- December 2020–March 2023, Vice Commander, 184th Wing, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- March 2023–Present, Commander, 184th Wing, McConnell AFB, Kan.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
2011 General Michael Hayden Award for Information Operations
2013 Air Force General Counsel’s Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant Jan. 5, 2002
Captain July 5, 2002
Major Jan. 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2014
Colonel Nov. 21, 2019
(Current as of March 2023)
Click to Download PDF
Click to Download Portrait