COLONEL MICHAEL T. VENERDI
Colonel Michael T. Venerdi is the Commander, 184th Intelligence Wing, McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas. Col. Venerdi commands more than 1,200 Guardsmen who execute a broad spectrum of missions including intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance, network and information operations, and command and control. In addition, the wing fields a full complement of support functions including civil engineering, security forces, medical, and force support units. All of these missions greatly enhance the Air Force’s capability to provide actionable intelligence and information dominance for combat forces around the globe.
After graduating from the United States Air Force Academy in 1991, Colonel Venerdi attended pilot training at Reese Air Force Base, Texas. He has since served as an instructor and evaluator pilot in the KC-135 R/T and is a command pilot with more than 4,000 flight hours. He has previously commanded the 184th Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance Group, the 184th Regional Support Group, the 184th Mission Support Group, the 161st Intelligence Squadron, the 184th Intelligence Support Squadron and the 184th Operations Support Squadron. He served as detachment commander for KC-135 operations in SOUTHCOM. A pilot and intelligence officer, Col. Venerdi held a qualification as a Mission Operations Commander, commanding Distributed Common Ground System crews as they prosecuted missions across the globe. Colonel Venerdi has served in the Active Duty Air Force, the Air National Guard, and the Air Force Reserves. He has held a variety of positions with the wing including Chief of Standardization and Evaluation for the 184th Operations Group and KC-135R Flying Training Unit instructor pilot. Prior to his current position, he served as Chief of the Operations Support Division and a Command Center Director at Headquarters North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado.
1991 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. 1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 ANG Commanders’ Development Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Joint and Combined Warfighting School - JPME Phase II, Norfolk Naval Station, Va.
2018 Joint Task Force Commanders Course – Peterson AFB, Colo.
- August 1991–August 1992, Student Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, Texas
- September 1992–November 1995, Chief of Management and Systems Flight, Chief of Hazardous Materials Pharmacy, Assistant Chief of Management and Systems Flight, 22nd Supply Squadron, March AFB, Calif.
- November 1995–November 1998, KC-135R Aircraft Commander, Standardization/Evaluation Liaison Officer, Squadron Scheduler, 351st Air Refueling Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
- November 1998–August 2001 Chief, Standardization/Evaluation, KC-135R/T Receiver Instructor/Evaluator Pilot, Chief of Training, Special Operations Instructor Pilot, 384th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- August 2001–September 2002, KC-135R Instructor Pilot, 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- September 2002–October 2006, Chief, Standardization/Evaluation, 184th Operations Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- October 2006–November 2008, Commander, 184th Operations Support Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- November 2008–June 2011, Commander, 184th Intelligence Support Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- June 2011–September 2013, Commander, 161st Intelligence Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- September 2013–November 2013, Commander, 184th Mission Support Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- November 2013–September 2015, Commander, 184th Regional Support Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- October 2015–October 2016, Commander, 184th Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
- October 2016–September 2018, Chief, Operations Support Division, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
- September 2018-Present, Commander, 184th Intelligence Wing, McConnell AFB, Kan.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. October 2016 – September 2018, Chief, Operations Support Division, HQ NORAD, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: more than 4,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, KC-135 R/T
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Kansas National Guard Service Medal with one device
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Guard Association of the United States, Life Member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1991
First Lieutenant May 29, 1993 Captain May 29, 1995 Major December 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel June 3, 2007
Colonel January 8, 2014
(Current as of September 2018)